General presentation of Intel
In 1986, the Intel Corporation was founded in the United States. Today, the company is still known as the world's largest manufacturer of microprocessors. But the company does not only produce microprocessors, but also motherboards, computer chips, graphics processors and flash memory.
Thanks to the boom in the computer sector, Intel has been a big name in technology since 1991.
This is confirmed by the company's turnover, which reached almost 40 billion dollars, with an annual net profit of almost 8 billion dollars in 2012. The breakdown of the company's activity can be summarised as follows:
- The vast majority of the business is of course the manufacture of microprocessors and computer equipment of all kinds, with over 55% of the company's total turnover.
- Next comes the production of communication products such as telephone chips or so-called connection products, which account for 42% of total turnover.
It is obvious that Intel is today one of the international leaders in its field of activity. In fact, a big part of the development strategy of this group is based on strategic acquisitions of other companies in diverse fields of activities. We invite you therefore to find out in detail these different acquisitions that have been made over the course of the last ten years:
- In 2009: the acquisition of the American company Wins River Systems in the field of embedded systems.
- In 2010: the acquisition of the American company McAffe in the field of computer security and of the German company Infineon in the field of wireless technology.
- In 2011: the acquisition of the Dutch company Silicon Hive in the field of DSP and the Israeli company Telmap in the field of computer software.
- In 2013: the acquisition of the American company Mashery in the field of computer software, of the Irish company Aepona in the field of SDN, of the Finnish company Stonesoft Corporation in the field of computer security, the Israeli company Omek Interactive in the field of software and the Spanish company Indisys in the field of automatic processing of natural language.
- In 2014: the acquisition of the American company Basis in the field of portable technology, the Canadian company PasswordBox in the field of computer security and the American company Avago Technologies in the field of semiconductors.
- In 2015: the takeover of the American company Vuzix in the field of portable technology, the German company Lantiq in the field of Telecom, the American company Altera in the field of semiconductors, the American company Recon In the field of portable technology and the American company Saffron technology in the field of Cognitive computing.
- In 2016: The acquisition of the German company Ascending technologies in the field of UAVs, of the Israeli company Replay Technologies, of the Italian company Yogitech and the American company Nervana Systems.
In view of all these companies that are now part of the group Intel, we understand better how this company can remain at the forefront of technology and how it remains in a strong position despite the increasingly fierce competition. Of course, all the future acquisitions could have an undeniable influence on the price of this asset on the stock market and must therefore be the object of utmost attention.
72% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. This is an advert for trading CFDs on Plus500